Experiencing a certain amount of stress is useful and normal; it can help you feel motivated, energized, and alert. However, experiencing too much stress or not being able to recover from it can have negative effects on your physical and psychological health.
Signs that stress may be becoming a problem in your life:
- Feeling depressed, irritable, angry, anxious, or overwhelmed
- Feeling fatigued
- Lack of interest or motivation
- Difficulty concentrating
- Tension in your back and shoulders
- Trouble sleeping
You can take this quiz to see what your stress index is!
It is impossible to eliminate all stress from your life, but stress management can help you bounce back from challenges and maintain wellness. There is not one right way to manage stress; different people will find different strategies that work for them.
Things You Can Try
- Talk to someone close to you about how you are feeling
- Participate in a physical activity that you enjoy
- Try activities similar to yoga or meditation
- Practice mindfulness or breathing exercises
- Do things that you find fun and make you feel good
- Spend some time outdoors
- Lead a healthy lifestyle
(Adapted from CMHA and Stress Strategies)